Sunday, September 16, 2012

Zakka Style: A review

Here is a review of all the projects from the Zakka Style book by Rashida Coleman-Hale. I made 14 of the 24 projects for the Zakka Style SAL. That's more than half!

Zakka Style Sew Along

You can also check it out on my flickr for additional photos.

Week 24: Nested boxes
nested boxes
Blogged here.
The best part: Being able to nest them - and quilting such a manageable sized project is always a treat.
The worst part: hand-stitching the boxes together
Would I make it again: Yes

Week 20- Little pocket pillowcase
Zakka SAL/modified lined drawstring bag.
Blogged here.

The best part: Making the pocket
The worst part: The pillow hem not lining up with the body. 
Would I make it again: The pocket for sure. I may try again on the pillowcase but I would not construct it the way it was presented.

Week 18- bread basket

Zakka SAL: week 18

The best part: fussy cut chickens!
The worst part: Stitching the tight corners of the handles.
Would I make it again: Maybe, I don't know what I would do with it. This one was used for transporting cookies and then for holding my thread spools


Week 17- linen bag
Zakka SAL: week 17

The best part: playing with different patchworks on the front
The worst part: realizing it is too small to be functional
Would I make it again: Yes but I would resize it.

Week 16- patchwork ribbon

Zakka SAL: week 16

The best part: Using the last little bits of scraps from my mom's bargello quilt. And I get to wrap up the quilt with this ribbon
The worst part: The raw edges fraying
Would I make it again: Yes if I had long strips of patchwork leftover from a project.

Week 14- water bottle holder

Zakka SAL - week 14

The best part: Quilting the bottom
The worst part: Sewing on buttons
Would I make it again: Yes but I would make it taller.

Week 13- patchwork potholders

Zakka SAL - week 13: potholders

The best part: making the patchwork top and having the pleasure of sewing bias binding around a curve (not sarcasm!)
The worst part: none that I can remember.
Would I make it again: Yes. These will make great gifts.

Week 11- Orchard path pouch

Zakka SAL - week 11

The best part: English paper piecing for the first time.
The worst part: Getting the corners to match up
Would I make it again: Yes. It is a great size. It currently houses all my dry erase markers.

Week 10- Zip organizer
zakka sew along week 10

The best part: Picking out crazy neon fabric for the case.
The worst part: finishing it with the zipper and lots of layers. It does not look polished. Just don't look too close
Would I make it again: Yes. I need to try it again to perfect it


Week 9- Stem messenger bag
DSCF0561

Zakka bag
The best part: Picking out leaf fabrics and making my own strap. This was also my first bag
The worst part: Top stitching through many layers.
Would I make it again: Obviously. I made two of the messenger bags. I think this was my favorite projects. The first one I followed the book. The second one just has an elephant on the front. I whipped it up in a frenzy for a friend who needed a large bag for a trip she was taking the next day.

Week 8- Zakka block quilt
\DSCF0526

The best part: Quilting zig-zag lines. I also really liked the fabric I chose and making the back. And  also everything about this cause I like quilts the best. Oh, I donated it so that felt pretty good too!
The worst part: Nothing.
Would I make it again: Yes! The top came together in one night. I made the whole thing in a weekend even with all the quilting.

Week 7- mug rug
DSCF0517

The best part: rain lines
The worst part: my swirls in the clouds look baaaad.
Would I make it again: Maybe. I don't really get mug rugs.

Week 6- magnets

DSCF0399

The best part: fussy cut bun
The worst part: turning it right side out and stitching it closed
Would I make it again: Sure

Week 3- patchwork pincushion
DSCF0341

The best part: using the baking girl scouts patch 
The worst part: Getting the button just so.
Would I make it again: Yes.

Weeks I skipped:
Week 23- message board (eh, not my cuppa tea)
Week 22- pleated coin purse (maybe if I run across a metal frame)
Week 21- photo frame (not enough sewing for my taste)
Week 19- sweet sugar cookie sack (maybe when I have kids)
Week 15- elephant bookmark (bookmarks don't fit in my kindle)
Week 12- hand warmers (maybe but not with creepy faces)
Week 5- patchwork pencil case (I really want to make this)
Week 4-Sewing kit (will make eventually)
Week 2-house pouch (could be fun)
Week I- zig-zag tote (on my to do list)

Thank you to Lindsey and Amy for hosting! Also thank you readers because I just hit 1000 pageviews!! 

3 comments:

  1. Very impressive! I love seeing your notes on each project. There's a ton of info about all if these Zakka projects now--it really will be helpful if/when I attempt some more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great review of this book, from your own perspective! I'm glad to have met you through this sew along. Your projects are very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great rundown!!! I would love to have a crafternoon with the zig zag tote action.

    ReplyDelete