Thursday, April 25, 2013

Happy Pills {A Finished Quilt}

A Lovely Year of Finishes

April LYOF. Relevant links:  goal setting and and an update with the top finished.

Happy Pills

Happy Pills

Stats
Size: 47" x 55" 
Pattern: Happy Hour by Elizabeth Hartman
Fabrics: see below
Piecing: pieced with 50 wt Aurifil thread
Quilting: FMQ with a 40 wt off white Aurifil thread.

 From top to bottom: Indigo oakshott cotton, turquoise ovals (Juggling Summer), paisley in lime (Chicopee), Indigo plumage (Cuzco), voltage dot in black (Chicopee), heatwave stripes in lime (Chicopee), Midnight sky birds (Simple Marks by Malka), dotted leaf in lime (Chicopee), Indigo citadel (Cuzco). The background fabric is Gray tweed texture (Mod Century)

Here's the front:
Happy Pills

Sewing curves for each of the blocks was time consuming but really not too bad. The blocks were pretty forgiving and once the rectangles were assembled it was trivial to put together the top.

And the back:
Happy Pills - back


Happy Pills - back

I changed up the pattern for the back. I wanted it to look like floating pills. I couldn't resist throwing in the one backward block. I love the mod century tweed fabric. It is the perfect neutral.

Here are some details on the quilting and the binding. I got fancy and made it look the half pills on the back are continuous by piecing it into the binding.

Happy Pills - binding
Happy Pills - quilting detail

Free motion quilting with the 40 wt Aurifil was so fun. It really shows up nicely on the dark fabrics. The texture from this quilting is so yummy.

This is a wedding gift for some friends who are getting married. I hope they will like it as much as I do. This is a hard one to give away!
Happy Pills

There was a lot of fabric leftover which is great because I am not done with mixing lime and blue. I'm slowly making my way through EH's Modern Patchwork book. I made her roller rink quilt last year. 

18 comments:

  1. It looks fabulous! I'm finding so many patterns with curves that I can't wait to try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I really love that! I'm sure the happy couple will, too. :D Very nice share at TGIFF!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love love love it! I like its name too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks wonderful, I love your design touches (backwards block on the back and the pill fabric going into the binding). The colours are gorgeous too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely quilt! Great colour choice! Well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great colours and love the binding detail!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Majorly impressed by this one, Marla. Also a big fan of that giant toad-looking thing by the fence.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice quilt! I love the pattern and the fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  9. fabric is a happiness pill! sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your title for this post - don't we all need a few "happy pills" even just in quilt form?! I really love EH's Modern Patchwork book as well - although I haven't made anything from it as yet. I definitely will be following in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great finish! Love the color scheme. And the curved blocks are really fun! I bet it WAS a hard quilt to give away. Hope they love it!

    Thanks for linking up to finish it up Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I ADORE this modern look and colour scheme - great job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hooray for happy pills! Looks awesome, and i love the quilting :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Impressively matching curves, an awesome backing, and TWEED? All in one place?
    That is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. what a cool quilt! the colors are great, and the oval shapes against the rectangles are so interesting!

    -Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great minds think alike! I came for a visit from "Finish it up Friday" and then enjoyed your work so much, I started browsing and cannot believe how much we think alike! Check out my "Quilt Finishes 2012" tab on my blog and scroll down. Haha - it's like seeing double!!! Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete