Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Harry Potter Quilt

Hello world! Or rather, hello tiny fraction thereof that is reading this. The blog has been quiet but I have been busy. I am so excited because I can finally showoff my Harry Potter miniquilt:

HP bookshelf

I made it as a Christmas present for Kim (The brains behind Crafternoon Delight) and I finally finished it and gift it yesterday. Way back in May I stumbled upon the Sewhooked project of doom Harry Potter paper piecing library. And I said, self, this is the PERFECT thing for Kim. We all love HP but she really loves HP.

I chose to make a few paper pieced bookshelves into a wall hanging that she can put above her real bookshelf in her craft room. There are so many great patterns to choose from. I picked ones that had lots of books and other interesting items. One day maybe I will make the full quilted bookcase for my future craft room.

HP bookshelf
Block #1 - has some Felix Felicis (aka liquid luck). Hogwarts: A History, Quidditch throughout the Ages, and Magical Me by Gilderoy Lockhart. I imagine that it is signed on the inside flap by Mr. Lockhart himself. I machined embroidered Felix Felicis on the potion and hand embroidered the rest.

HP bookshelf
Block #2 - The Half-blood prince's copy of Advanced Potion-Making (2nd Edition) and Dumbledore's copy of The Tale of Beedle the Bard. Sorry you can't see the embroidery too well on that book. It wasn't the best choice of fabric. Harry left his glasses on this shelf (probably a spare pair). A little spider made his home in the corner. I think he is Aragog's great-great-great-great-great-great grandson. I machine quilted the spider and the web. Hand stitched the book titles.

HP bookshelf
Here is a close up of Aragog Jr.

HP bookshelf
Block #3 - This block has the first snitch Harry caught sitting on top of more books. You can't see which books these are but the bottom one is clearly The Monster Book of Monsters from the Care of Magical Creatures class. Above that is the standard book of spells 3 and Ancient Runes. I machine quilted the pages.

HP bookshelf - back
Here is the back. I used some HPesque fabrics. I also added different types of tabs to hang the quilt. The binding is colored for each of the houses at Hogwarts.

Linking up with Fabric Tuesdays!


9 comments:

  1. I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! I might have to make another HP quilt for myself now... oh geez oh man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are feeling better! And holy cow, this mini. Those glasses! What perfect paper-piecing. A lovely gift. Now, yeah, I badly want to do one for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen the full set of these blocks and after seeing your take on them, I really badly want to go through the HP books and find every single book title to embroider on the spines. Love! I also cannot get over what a fun detail the binding is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Guuuuh it's so fantastic!! I adore it so much. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Marla! I'm so happy I came to see you from Jennifer! This quilt is fantastic! I love it! Beautiful, creative and fun! Christmas wished from Greece! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous! Fabulous! Fabulous! I love the snitch. It actually looks like it's flying!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know who loves this the most? ME!!!!!! Luckiest girl ever! Thanks so much for my incredible Christmas gift. I will love it and cherish it for ever and ever and ever... HP AMAZEBALLS! The house binding really is the cherry on top :-)

    ReplyDelete