Thursday, February 13, 2014

Rainbow Cabins

I got this idea for a baby quilt and it wouldn't go away. It started like this...


I wanted to make some big-ass-rainbow-text-fabulous log cabin blocks. I started with a 3" center block and alternated rings of solids with rings of black, white and cream prints. And voila! One side goes from orange to blue and the other goes in reverse. I can't say which is the front and which is the back because I love them equally.

I do have to say that the process of making 48" log cabins kinda sucks. I don't think I am going to do it again any time soon. But it really was worth it...just this once. 

My puppy overloads were watching me every moment and cracking the whip so I would get it just right.

"baste around us"

"Quilt faster...and I want kibbles"

Then I free motion quilted the heck out of it. I'm calling this design sound waves. I drew waves with a frixon pen and then quilted a squiggly line between the pen lines. This figure sums it all up perfectly. 


Once it is finished it forms a lovely diamond pattern which you can see in the morning light in the photo below. This photo was taken before washing, after washing the overall pattern became more subtle.


Both sides:
 

Quilting up close:


I'll be linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts and TGIFF.

12 comments:

  1. Woo hoo! It's beautiful, Marla! Love the alternating colour and text fabric and that it's reversible. Very lucky baby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I love the quilting on this, and the quilt is absolutely gorgeous! I love both sides! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving the dogs and your crazy technical drawing. But mostly love the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Egads! This is Gorgeous!!!! Be pleased, be very pleased :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I'm at a loss for words - it's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an awesome quilt! The front, the back, the fabric choices, the quilting - you did a spectacular job!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretty! I love the colors along with the low volume prints.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really love your quilt, the colours and the stitching. I love huge log cabins, you are inspiring me to make another.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW!! This is so gorgeous! :D I wouldn't know which side was the front, either. :D Love it!

    ReplyDelete