Sunday, October 26, 2014

Quilter attempts to sew with a stretchy fabric

Recently I saw a couple of posts on IG of some simple topknot baby hats and I got inspired to try to sew some up. I have never sewn with knits before and had a pretty good idea that this wasn't going to go well. A baby hat is a good place to start though - it is a quick project and babies don't care if their hat looks good or not.

I used this tutorial and the only knit fabric I had on hand (a very cute bird print). And voila!! Look a hat. It took less than an hour. Probably less than 30 minutes. If you actual know what you are doing you could whip one up in 15.


The only problem is it stretched SO much. It is a big hat. The hat is supposed to fit a 0-3 month old head. See my hat next to a store bought hat for the same age range:  


Or superimposed:

As a quilter I can deal with blocks that are too small. I get it, my 1/4" seam wasn't accurate and now my blocks are small. But final products that turn out larger than intended...odd. The hat's template pieces were 7.5" at their widest and sewing them together with a 1/4" seam should yield a 7" hat. Nope my hat is 8" wide. I must have pulled the fabric too much when I sewed it together. Oh well. Hopefully my kids will have big heads like their dad. HA! 

I was too discouraged to make two more hats. I think I'll stick to woven fabrics. Thankyouverymuch. What about you, are you ambidextrous when it comes to sewing with different fabric types or are you a one textile loyalist?

1 comment:

  1. Your hat is cute. Most sewing patterns use a 5/8" seam allowance. You might want to check your pattern. As that extra would account for much of the difference you see.

    ReplyDelete