Friday, October 17, 2014

Two Girly Baby Quilts

In less than two months I will have my hands (instead of my belly) full of triplet boys. I made them each a quilt which will be blogged about soon. After making all of the boy quilts I was really itching to make something super girly, so when I found out that a new friend had identical twin girls a few months earlier I just had to make some quilts for them.

I wanted the quilts to complement each other but not be too matchy-matchy. I went with a triangle theme. The first one is made up of  equilateral triangles. 


I used up the last of my Simpatico fabric for this quilt and threw in a few other complementary prints. With light pinks, orange, yellow, and a hint of mint, the palette is very soft which really goes against my normal aesthetic. It was so hard not to throw some hot pink or electric blue in there.


I echo quilted the triangles which creates a beautiful grid and bonus stars at the junctions where 6 fabrics meet.

For the back I chose a world map print I picked up in Korea. It matches the colors on the front perfectly. I also appliqued an "M" for the baby so she can remember that THIS quilt is HERS and that her sister cannot have it.The binding is a blue polka-dot. 


For the second quilt I used triangles and big hexagons to make a star pattern. I stuck with a similar color scheme: pink, yellow, and light blue, but couldn't help going a little bolder on the prints this time. Plus teapots!

One of the hexagons is framed in a blue stripe print so that you can really see the secondary star design. The rest of the blue is a little snowflake print. Because the hexagons were so big, I got a chance to use some of my larger scale prints. Love those big yellow flowers.


Because I was dealing with a simpler patchwork I went bananas on quilting it. I chose to do some FMQ paisley feathers for the first time. I was emboldened by Angela Walters video tutorial  and baby quilts are the perfect place to practice designs. It created such a lovely texture and looks a lot harder than it was to execute. Just look at that texture. Mmmmm. 


 For the back I chose some flea market fancy, once again appliqueing a "T" so that you can tell the quilts apart (I am hilarious). The binding is made of the same cross-stitch letter fabric that I used for the monogram applique.


Now you can see that the back of the quilts are opposite of one another: blue with a cream binding, and cream with a blue binding.

The fronts of the quilts also go nicely together. I can't wait to see pictures of the little girls playing on their quilts.

I'm linking up with Crazy mom Quilts Friday finishes, for like, the first time in foreverrrrrrrrrrrrr. Happy Friday!!

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful quilts, and I'm still in shock that you're having triplets. Probably not as much shock as you are, though...

    ReplyDelete